I no longer recommend Wealthy Affiliate as default go-to for myself to learn and build passive income internet businesses; they have very strong support, robust discussion/forums, strong fundamental online business training programs, and best of all, there is a free-for-life basic membership program where you can learn the basics of online business, get 2 free websites and webhosting too.
Yes, one of their strong points is that you can stay as a free basic member for life if you want to, or once you’ve learnt as much as you can from the basic level and want to level up, you can opt to upgrade to be a premium member at $49 per month or $359 per year (the yearly option is much cheaper).
The reason why I changed my mind is because they do not provide a refund if you pre-paid for their yearly membership; instead you have to wait out your membership – I disagree with this approach. They also call themselves “the only online business platform you ever need”, which isn't true. Read my sharings on that here. Instead, I am very comfortable recommending you AffiloJetPack, which I'm a student of and Solo Build It, which I've used since 2010, check them out for your online success.
Wealthy Affiliate University is the place where I learnt how actually and properly make money online, and they two options: the free and basic membership version with 2 free websites and basic training (free $0 for life if you want to) or the premium version with more access to more advanced training, tools and forums ($49 per month or $359 per year).
So I am an active member of Wealthy Affiliate University, and unashamed about it – it's where I learn to make money online (see proof of my online affiliate commissions here) the proper way:
- how to choose my niche
- how to choose my domain name
- how to write articles and posts
- how to research keywords
- how to monetize my websites
- where to host my websites
- who to speak to and ask questions on the very active forum
- and more
I pay the $359 per year option instead of the $49 per month, simply because:
- I have benefited from the training (making money online) and forums that have kept me going
- I want to constantly learn about the ever changing world of the internet and improve my knowledge and applications on building, running and growing online businesses
- The community which usually answers any questions that I have usually in a few hours or less
- Direct access to the founders Kyle and Carson
- $359 per year = $29.916 per year (way cheaper than $49 per month)
For me, because it's already working for me hence I have proof that it works, to me it justifies being part of this learning and training community.
There are many ways for one to upgrade from being on the free membership plan to the premium version, and some of them are based on psychology, personal finance or pure decision making.
- If you sign up for the free membership version, learn how to make money online from the internet marketing courses there, once you make $30 per month, you've already justified upgrading to premium
- Cutting/scaling back on unnecessary costs – for me, I have things that I consider are luxury that eventhough I would hate to cut them out to make $359 per year, but bearing in mind Wealthy Affiliate will help me to learn a life skill of making money online – I will put the effort in. Here are some efforts to save money:
- TV/cable subscriptions that you don't (or shouldn't watch). I've written in a separate article that I hadn't watch TV since 2002, and for good reason. Cutting this out can easily save you anything from $10 – $50 per month – done.
- Making your own lunch which tends to be healthier, more filling, more nutrient dense and cheaper. A lunch outside ranges from $5 to $25, assuming you can save $5 per day for lunch, times 20 days per month = $100 savings. 3.5 months and done. (You can vary this to stuff like modifying outside coffee/alcohol/dinner etc – but don't go too cheap. I find lunch a little easier as lunch time at work tends to be 1 hour max, so I don't want to waste too much time and money on this)
- Side hustling with Uber: if you have a car, and have spare time, Uber drivers that are part time can easily make $50 per day. 7 days and done.
- 1 Fiverr task = $5. Repeat 72 times and it's done.
- AirBNB: if you have a place with a spare room, you can monetize the room and make $359.
- Baby/pet-sitting for an hourly rate
- House cleaning for others can net you about $150 – $300 per assignment
- Gardening/Yardwork/Painting can net you tens if not hundreds per hour
- Give tuition: in Singapore, good tuition is very profitable, and teachers can earn $100+ per hour
- Check your local tax if you can get tax rebates
- If you're employed, set aside money every month for savings and learning, Wealthy Affiliate falls into the learning category (read next point)
- Pure decision making: realize that doing the same thing everyday, and in one year time, when you look back, you're at the same place, doing the same thing, and going nowhere. If you're employed, you're still at risk. That's why I recommend that you future-proof yourself by learning how to make money online, it's a life skill that no one can take from you.
The bolded examples I find the easiest to apply, and quickly too with less hassle of learning new skills or dealing with people (as compared to being an Uber driver, host on AirBNB etc). There are dozens if not hundreds more ways to make the $359 to become a premium member of Wealthy Affiliate.
As a CEO and founder of a 7 figure physiotherapy business in Singapore, I get lots of sales pitches, offers and marketing information, and have seen, tried and tested many business models related to clinic practices which can be applied to other businesses, and I am satisfied personally and professionally with Wealthy Affiliate.
They charge a flat fee of $359 per year despite however much I make online, even if I make $10,000 or $100,000 or more from their materials and from hosting with them, they only charge me $359. That is very fair, because they're offering themselves as a training and learning platform for online businesses, a strong community, latest/current research on internet businesses and making money online, and do not take more.
Make the decision today, if not, in one year's time you may be facing yourself and asking yourself – “what did you achieve or do the last year?”
What about yourself?
If you’re a student, stay at home mum (SAHM), working full time or part time, or retired: you must build an online business on the side. Please don’t quit your job yet, build it on the side until it’s profitable enough to replace your salary, then you have more options.
It’s not a luxury but truly a necessity for your future.
I’ve built multiple businesses (and lost multiple too) and I can tell you frankly that building a business on the internet is the cheapest/most cost-effective way to business. There are thousands of people who do so sharing on topics that they’re passionate about (like how NigelChua.com shares on passive income and online business, which is my passion…for years now).
I know I am making some money online (see my income reports), and I know my financial future is getting better and better. But it is not easy, and takes a lot of time to learn and apply but I am building my passive income internet businesses that will work for me day in, day out; serving readers and customers profitably and delivering value 24/7.
To learn how I to make money online, join my mailing list and visit my resources page to see all the tools I use actively to build money making online businesses.